Friday, September 19, 2008

加油! 加油!

Hello all! Sorry it has been so long since I have last updated. It has been a crazy few weeks, but I am finally feeling like I am settling into the pace of life here, especially since Taipei is like the New York of Taiwan -- fast, efficient, and never sleeps. After a week of trying out different level language classes we are finally in our appropriate places, and I must say that as much time as it takes me to write a 600-word essay in Chinese, I am grateful for every minute I put into it because I know it will mean one more step in this long process of learning Chinese. Also, all three of my roommates finally moved in, and their classes began yesterday. My room has a very interesting situation -- we are all Taiwanese by blood, but we all grew up in different countries. One of my roommates lives here in Taiwan, one grew up in Korea, one in Paraguay, and me, from the States. Although, all three of them speak and read fluently and are attending normal classes so at times I find myself slightly frustrated that I still struggle with the language, but then I remind myself that I am lucky to be here and just need to, as they say, "add more oil!" (加油: (jia you) literally means, "add oil;" a phrase that means, "good luck," or "Go! Go!")

My aunt (my dad's younger sister), who lives in America with her husband, also visited Taiwan for two weeks, so I also spent a lot of time with them while they were here. Together, we visited my grandparents (who also live in Taipei) and my other uncles, and also made a weekend trip to Tainan to visit some beautiful historic sites. It has been great seeing my aunt in Taiwan, since I have never been here with her before. Also, it has been great seeing so much family! Someday I will have to post my family tree so that I can better explain my extensive, complicated relative situation...

I am overall still doing very well here, and very happy with everything. My roommates, new classmates, and teachers are all amazing! I think that this weekend (this will be the second weekend I will have spent actually staying here at ChengDa instead of traveling to another city...) I will probably spend hanging out with my roommates, I hope to get to know them better. And also, next weekend I think I will be visiting my uncle and aunt (my dad's brother) in Taoyuan because I have never been to their house before and I have not seen my cousins since I was in 3rd grade!!!!!! Also, I am signing up for a speech contest that will be held in mid-October. It is a 5-6 minute speech on several different choices of topics. I am already nervous -- this is my first Chinese speech!!!

I hope everyone is doing well, I know school starts soon. Enjoy the last few days of summer vacation before it's time to hit the books again! ^^

No comments: